Sunday, August 10, 2008

Trenton RCAF Museum.. The things he remembers...

Dalton shares his Poppa's love of the army airplanes and all things that have to do with the army. I hope that he never has to join, get recruited or serve in one. Don't get me wrong if he chooses to do such a thing I will stand behind him and be a proud mother of a soldier. Like another woman I know. JOLENE (http://www.jolenegeorge.blogspot.com/) I cannot say I would like it though.
He loved looking at all the planes and old parachutes and uniforms and had me take pictures of just about everything. He was disappointed about the Halifax bomber. They have recovered it from the ocean but are still working on getting it assembled. We are about 2 weeks too early. So we have promised him that we will come back at some point and see it again.
So we looked through all the buildings and then toured the outside. Dalton is just like a sponge when it comes to learning about something he likes. The woman there, gave him a flyer on the Halifax bomber. He read all about it. And what we didn't know was he wasn't about to forget it. We went to my Mom and Dad's the next day and he recited the entire flyer to my Dad even down to when they recouped it from the ocean and that the gunner from the plane was there. They found his thermos inside the plane with old coffee still in it! Very stale and cold. I couldn't believe that he remembered all that.
So now it will be a tour that we take Poppa with us to see. Dalton has promised that when we go and see it that we will be taking him with us. Which is good. I am glad that they can have something together that they can share.
Here are a few of the planes from outside in case you have never had the opportunity to go and see.
Tyson running around the path like a maniac. If you see all the little blocks around the path they are soldiers, mostly veterans. But all from Ontario that have served or given their life for our country. All the names are there and their date of passing if it happened yet, and their hometown. We noticed a few had recently been removed and flags replaced them while they were gone.
One of the ladies told us that they were being engraved for the recent soldiers that have died in Afghanistan. Doesn't seem fair. Here we are looking at their monumental gravestone knowing that they made it safe for us to do so.
You can see the flags along the path below.I have a great respect for the people that have given their lives to keep me and my family safe. I cannot give enough thanks for them.
All of them, no matter where they come from.
Amercians, Canadians, Black, White , Army, Navy or Marines.
THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment